Constructive comments, suggestions, crits and collaborations are welcome and appreciated. This was formerly titled "Movin' On"

Steppin' Stone
Copyright 2015 by Wes Tibbets

VERSE ONE

I've been traveling down the highways

East coast to L.A.

Trying to find my place in the sun

Staying in buses and motels

Parking lots and hotels

Life on the road is a lonesome one

CHORUS

Steppin' stone (Steppin' Stone)

It won't be long before I'm gone

Steppin' Stone (Steppin' Stone)

Right or wrong

It's a steppin' stone 

VERSE TWO

Some folks work the land

Some build with their own hands

I live the life of a troubadour

Chasing my own dreams

It feels like they own me

I often wonder why I do it for

CHORUS

Right or wrong

It's a steppin' stone  

BRIDGE

Someday when the music's over

I'll look back and I'll wonder

About what I did

And never should have done

CHORUS

Right or wrong

It's a steppin' stone 

TAG

Right or wrong 
It's a steppin' stone
Carl B
Hi, Wes

I like it.  Title grabbed my attention because I wrote a lyric with the same title about three months ago.  Lol
Only word I am not sure most people would immediately get is troubadour.  Keep it simple. Something that immediately reaches a person without having to pause for a moment and ask ...hmm. troubadour.  It's sounds rather sophisticated yet it does work in the lyric.

Just a thought

Carl

Wes Tibbets
Thanks Carl!

I appreciate the kind words and the suggestion. I hope life is treating you well. Best wishes!
Arty Redsocks
Wes
there is a lot to like within this and the premise is rather universal as per Carl's note he has written one not so long ago (sometimes a google search of a title reveals so much as per attachment)

What about something like 'searching lonesome'  for instance which is a summation of the lyric content.

This is where it gets a bit hairy, once we have a common title then the body of the song has to differentiate itself from the pack, this requires rewriting cliches or making them your own by adding to them in an unexpected way (for instance I just tried using Lions Den as metaphor for fear of falling in love, does it work? dont know yet but its at least placed it in a different perspective)

Lonesome roads riddled with holy stop signs

I get the feel for the song, but would love to see this made your own, check out Turn the Page, On the Road Again, but make this song your own and better if you can make it sound as simple as it is now, you will have a classic..

Arty

Attachments
Wes Tibbets
Hi Arty,

Thanks for the kind words and suggestion. I originally had this titled "It's My Life" until I realized I had already written a song named ,"It's Not My Life". So I changed it to what it is now. I also thought about using the title, "Steppin' Stone" but I went with "Movin' On" instead. I may change it to that instead. Best wishes!
Kip Marchetti
To me the title "Steppin' Stone" defines the song as in .... This life is just the beginning and not the ending. "Troubador" seems to me to be essential to the song. You're traveling up and down the road ... Singing your songs ... Undoubtedly making people happy. It's a choice you've made in your life and although it can be sometimes a lonesome trade it is the choice you made. Some folks work the land, some folks build with their hands, you sing your songs. We all make the choice of what we're going to do ... Right or wrong ... It is simply a "Steppin' Stone" to the next. We all feel somewhat confused and caught up in the race but in the end ... This is just a steppin' stone so let's do something positive ... Sing our songs if it makes people happy, build our houses, plant our crops, etc., etc.

That's my take on the lyric .... and I think it needs some minor modifications ... Not that I know squatola ... It's a good one.
Kip Marchetti
Wes Tibbets said...

Constructive comments, suggestions, crits and collaborations are welcome and appreciated. This was formerly titled "Movin' On"

Steppin' Stone
Copyright 2015 by Wes Tibbets

VERSE ONE

I've been traveling down

each and every highway<----------------------

East coast to L.A.

doing it my way<---------------------

Trying to find my place in the sun

Staying in buses and motels

Parking lots and hotels

Life on the road can be a lonesome one

CHORUS

Right or wrong

It's a steppin' stone

VERSE TWO

Some folks work the land

Some build with their own hands

(some folks sit around)

(trying to figure it out)

(Some folks are always chasing their dream)

But they don't know what for<----------------

Open and closing doors<----------------------

I live my life as a troubadour<-----------------

CHORUS

Right or wrong

It's a steppin' stone

BRIDGE

Someday when the music's over

I'll look back and I'll wonder

About everything I did

some things never should've been done

I'll just smile and think

I'm not the only one

CHORUS

Right or wrong

It's a steppin' stone

TAG

Right or wrong
It's a steppin' stone

Wes ... I included some minor things in the lyric but I did it within your quote. As always man, it's just a thought and I think you are a heck of lyricist. My mods by no means are anythin more than taking the song where I felt it needed to go .... There are far better lyric writers than I who can maybe say it better. Cool song.
Dan Lamons
Traveling down the highway east coast to LA
Hotels motels buses, folks who could'nt stay
Searching for my place in the sun
Life on the road is a lonesome run

V2
Most work hard for little with callussed hands
Some folks make millions without any plans
Chasing dreams but that's just me
Im just another troubadour livin free

My .02 for what it's worth. Take what ever you like. Enjoyed trying to help.
Wes Tibbets
Hi Kip and Dan,

Love some of the suggestions! Good stuff! I really appreciate yall pitching in. I'm glad you thought enough of the song to do so. Best wishes!
Les Service
Hi Wes

Just thought I would share some ideas, like the story of this and hope you get it to how you want it to be.

These are only my thoughts and meant to hopefully inspire ideas. 

Good Luck

Les

I've been up n down these highways 
 From the East coast to L.A. 
 Looking for my place in the sun 
 Stayed on buses in motels 
 Parking lots and hotels 
 The life I lead is a lonesome one 

VERSE TWO 

Some folk choose to work the land 
 Others build with their own hands 
 Me, I’m a troubadour 
 Been chasing my own dreams 
 Now their chasing me it seems 
 I often wonder why I do it for 
Wes Tibbets
Hi Les,

Sorry it took so long for me to reply. I haven't been on much lately. I'm going through a period of writer's block. Kip has actually taken this song and did a recording of it. I'll try to put it up in the next day or so in the open mic section. Love your suggestions though. It seems really singable. I hope life is treating you and yours well. Best wishes!
Marc-Alan  Barnette
One thing that you have to keep in mind in songwriting is that while you can't copyright a title or phrase, it is never a good idea to write a song with a similar title to recent song that was a really big hit. Two friends of mine, David Vincent Williams and Phillip White, had a song of the year with "I'M MOVING ON" with the band Rascall Flatts just a few years ago and it is still regularly played on country radio and in Rascal Flatts shows. The rule of thumb is to try and avoid titles of ICONIC or recent (within 20 years) titles. Sometimes it means avoiding it completely.

The problem is never so much anything to do with copyrights as much as every time you list it, register it or if you were to bring it to anyone in the music industry them saying immediately, "Hey I know that song," or "You know this artist has that song...." or even worse, when they start singing the melody or lyrics to THE OTHER SONG. It is just one more way to have songs rejected before they even get a chance. It is already hard enough to get and keep attention, adding something else that will be distracting, is just one more way to make it hard on ourselves.

All things you have to think about when doing this. 
MAB
Wes Tibbets
Thanks Marc,

I changed the title to this song shortly after I posted it to "Steppin' Stone". It was the last song I wrote before "writer's block" took over. It was already affecting me though when I wrote this. In the future, I'll be sure to heed your words of advice. I appreciate it!
Wes Tibbets
Hi OD,

Thanks for your suggestions and so forth. I don't mind your opinions on the subject. I prefer to write positive material for the most part but this song came as I began to get burned out again. I've since stopped writing and haven't had a lick of inspiration in nigh on 3 weeks. For me, this is more or less a throw away song. Although Kip was kind enough to do a recording of it, I never had much hope for it myself. There's a lot about it that doesn't appeal to me. Many of which have already been mentioned by others and yourself. I sure do appreciate you taking the time to comment on it. Best wishes to you!
Les Service
Wes Tibbets said...

Hi Les,

Sorry it took so long for me to reply. I haven't been on much lately. I'm going through a period of writer's block. Kip has actually taken this song and did a recording of it. I'll try to put it up in the next day or so in the open mic section. Love your suggestions though. It seems really singable. I hope life is treating you and yours well. Best wishes!

Hi Wes
You should jump on to "pick up the gauntlet" in fun n games, might help with your block? Mostly dribble but gets you mind thinking on rhymes n ideas.
I hope you get back to the pen soon, just write anything that comes to mind without putting to much thought into it and see what comes out.

Good luck
Les
Wes Tibbets
Thanks Les,

I appreciate the encouragement. I'll pick the pen up again eventually. The last time, it took over 5 years. I go thru phases where that's all I hear but then I go thru phases when the music dies. I hope when the time comes that I do start writing again, I'm as blessed to have so many new friends as I have been in my short time on Songramp. It's truly been an honor to know each and every one of you if even only for a short while. Take care of yourself. Best wishes to you and yours!
Wes Tibbets
Lol yeah you never know what kind of drastic measures a man will resort to who is suffering from writer's block. There's already a half dozen holes in the wall where I rammed my head trying to come up with a good hook.
Larry Killam
Enjoyed Da Read Wes.Would love to hear it.Kip and I have written a few songs together.All Da Best With It.
Wes Tibbets
Hi Larry,
Thanks for the kind words. Kip is a great guy. I really enjoyed working with him this past year. I appreciate you checking it out. Best wishes!